Sunday 28 July 2013

Negativity - Everyone's a critic


There's a lot of negativity online and I suppose that most of us have become used to it, but why?

I'm used to a constant stream of negativity and criticism in my personal life, the constant pressure from someone who should be supporting me in doubting my ability in everything I do. It's means that when I get that negativity and criticism online from someone who isn't prepared to reveal their identy, I think, "so what!"  They have a long way to go before they will be able to ruin my day, let alone my weekend or week.

And this is what I want to talk about (obviously because of something that has happened to me, but I wont be talking about that). Why do people feel the need to be negative? Personally I think it's because it's easier to look at faults in others than to see your own faults, it's easier to pick on someone than listen to your own doubts and insecurities.

Social media allows everyone to do that, and criticise anyone, at anytime, but always people they have never met. If you start working in social media, get used to it, it will happen and y need to ignore it. It's far too easy for something you say to be taken out of context, and what ymmight think is a balanced and fair reply, can be twisted and used against you. If a stranger was rude to you as you walked down the street, would you respond?

Of course not, you would carry on with your life. If a stranger said to you that your clothes were ugly, would it bother you?  No, what do you care about their opinion?  It's your life, you live it your way.

You have to treat your business social media account the same way. Rudeness and criticism should be ignored when it comes from an online source.

It's Better To Try And Fail Than Not Try At All

I think it's said best here, and worth a read;

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt, excerpt from the speech "Citizenship In A Republic"

No comments:

Post a Comment